Insignia is looking for an experienced Senior Biologist to join our team. Responsibilities include overseeing biological fieldwork, managing projects, and coordinating the preparation of environmental review documents and permit applications. This position also supports management staff in marketing efforts, including the preparation of proposals.
- Provide oversight of biological field surveys, including biological assessments, special-status species surveys, vegetation mapping, and wetland delineations.
- Manage and provide technical review for the preparation of biological documents, including special-status survey reports, biological resources technical reports, and biological resources sections of California Environmental Quality Act/National Environmental Policy Act (CEQA/NEPA) documents.
- Manage and provide technical review for the preparation of resource agency permit applications, including Lake and Streambed Alteration Agreements, Clean Water Act Section 404 and 401 permits, and Endangered Species Act Section 7 and Section 10 documents.
- Coordinate with project field teams to schedule and execute biological fieldwork in accordance with Insignia’s standards and project requirements.
- Oversee biological monitors in the field and support environmental compliance management efforts on a wide range of utility construction projects.
- Ensure work is conducted within the assigned constraints (i.e., budget and schedule) at the project and program levels.
- Assist in the preparation of scopes and costs for project proposals.
- Master of Science degree or higher in biology, ecology, or a related science.
- Seven or more years of experience in environmental consulting in a similar role.
- Strong technical expertise in one or more aspects of field biology, such as botany, wildlife biology, or wetland biology; for wildlife biologists, species-handling permits are strongly desired.
- Minimum of five years of experience with environmental compliance and project management on major utility infrastructure projects in California.
- Minimum of five years of demonstrated experience with California species and ecosystems; three years or more of experience with sensitive species in San Diego County is strongly preferred.
- Five or more years of demonstrated experience leading teams of field biologists.
- Knowledge and experience with federal and state regulations, including CEQA/NEPA, Clean Water Act, and Endangered Species Act.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as confidence in dealing with clients, regulators, and team members.
- Excellent writing and technical editing skills, with advanced experience in Microsoft Office.
- Rigorously detail-oriented and committed to accuracy.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Willingness and ability to travel when needed.
- Willingness and ability to work fluctuating and/or long hours as necessary.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- While prioritizing health and safety, this position requires an individual who is able to walk and hike through varying degrees of difficult terrain. Individuals may also be required to perform their job responsibilities in inclement weather conditions.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume to email@example.com with a brief cover letter or cover email. Please include the words “resume” and “Senior Biologist” in the subject line of your email. We request that applicants refrain from calling our office directly regarding this position.
Insignia may request, for lawful employment purposes, background information about candidates from a consumer reporting agency in connection with employment.
Insignia is an equal opportunity employer. Insignia does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, mental or physical disability, genetic predisposition or characteristics, or any other characteristics protected by applicable state or federal civil rights law.
For additional information about working at Insignia, check out our Careers Page.