Insignia is looking for a Senior Archaeologist to join our team and serve as our Cultural Resources Practice Lead as well as Principal Investigator for projects. Responsibilities include overseeing and directing cultural resource subcontractors, providing technical advice related to the management of cultural resources, conducting technical reviews of reports, and any additional activities needed to ensure compliance with regulations protecting cultural resources. The Senior Archaeologist may also perform cultural resources monitoring to ensure compliance of construction activities with environmental permits and regulations.
- Provide expert advice on avoidance and minimization strategies related to the protection of cultural resources.
- Ensure full regulatory compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act and other regulations that protect cultural resources.
- Conduct record searches.
- Perform cultural resources fieldwork.
- Staff and manage field teams of archaeologists.
- Oversee and direct subconsultants.
- Provide technical review of reports.
- Interface with Native American tribes and organizations.
- Interface with client cultural resource subject matter experts.
- Facilitate compliance with cultural resource regulations pertaining to projects.
- Master’s degree in archaeology, cultural resource management, or a similar field.
- At least 7 years of experience in cultural resource management.
- At least 3 years of experience in environmental consulting.
- Demonstrated experience with Northern California archaeology and history.
- Knowledge and experience with federal and state regulations pertaining to cultural and Native American resources.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and technical editing skills, with advanced experience in Microsoft Office.
- Rigorously detail-oriented and committed to accuracy.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Willingness and ability to travel when needed.
- Willingness and ability to work fluctuating and/or long hours as necessary.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- While prioritizing health and safety, this position requires an individual who is able to walk and hike through varying degrees of difficult terrain. Individuals may also be required to perform their job responsibilities in inclement weather conditions.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief cover letter or cover email, including compensation expectations. Please include the words “resume” and “Senior Archaeologist” in the subject line of your email. We request that applicants refrain from calling our office directly regarding this position.
Insignia may request, for lawful employment purposes, background information about candidates from a consumer reporting agency in connection with employment.
Insignia is an equal opportunity employer. Insignia does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, mental or physical disability, genetic predisposition or characteristics, or any other characteristics protected by applicable state or federal civil rights law.